1 cup sugar
½ cup butter or margarine, softened
½ cup shortening
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
Red food color
About 24 wooden sticks with rounded ends
For Caramel Glaze:
1 package (14 ounces) vanilla caramels
¼ cup water
- Heat oven to 400º
- Beat sugar, butter, and shortening.
- Stir in vanilla and eggs.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in food color to tint dough red.
- Roll dough ¼ inch thick on lightly floured surface.
- Cut with 3-inch round or apple-shaped cookie cutter.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Insert wooden stick into side of each cookie.
- Bake 8-9 minutes or until edges are light brown.
- Cool 2 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet to were rack.
- Cool completely.
- Spread top third of each cookie (opposite wooden stick) with Caramel Glaze.
- Hold cookie upright to allow glaze to drizzle down cookie.
Heat caramels and water in 2-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. If glaze becomes too stiff, hear over low heat, stirring constantly, until softened.