You will need…….
8 ounces elbow macaroni
3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup heavy cream
4 to 5 ounces smoked gouda cheese, shredded or cut in small pieces
Pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon parsley, optional
1 ½ to 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 ½ cups frozen vegetables
½ cup soft bread crumbs
Here’s what you do….
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Cook macaroni as package directs. Drain and set aside.
- In saucepan over medium low heat, melt butter; add flour. Cook, stirring, until flour mixture is well blended.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth and cream
- Stir in cheese until melted and smooth.
- Add pepper, to taste, along with parsley, if using
- Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Add the chicken and vegetables; cook for about 1 minute longer
- Combine the sauce with the cooked and drained macaroni
- Pour in to a 2-quart casserole dish and make the top flat
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over the casserole
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until bubbly and browned.
You can use cheddar cheese also…but gouda is so much better!!